Sunday, January 27, 2008

A nephew and his uncle Screwtape

One of the current books in my reading queue is The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. And while I'm only 12 chapters in, the dominant theme has to be the slight misdirections perpetuated by Wormwood, his "affectionate" uncle Screwtape, and their other demon friends. Needless to say, it is a humbling reminder of how weak the human will can truly be. We can have a plan to do things and never get them done because we decide that '5 more minutes' is more important than throwing a pair of socks in the laundry or calling a friend. And yet avoiding these types of situations and misdirections can be extremely difficult at times, even when you have a drill sergeant standing over you.

Guess that's why "Carpe Diem" is such a valuable motto for many who live by it much closer than I.

1 comment:

Dan Agonistes said...

Screwtape is one of my favorites books. However, rather than reading it I've taken to listening to it on tape as read by John Cleese once a year. His reading of it is simply superb and he really captures the misdirections and attitude of Wormwood. Now, when I do read passages from it all my mind can do is recite it like Cleese does. I highly recommend you try and find a copy if you can when you're done reading.